Sunday, December 30, 2007

Gathering

I was in the woods doing some deer hunting in south Louisiana this past week enjoying the peace and quiet. December is my time to reflect on the past and get the Word of the Lord for the New Year. I love to deer hunt and spend this quiet time seeking the Lord, finishing all the books I started (I get bored with most books about halfway thru) and just refresh my soul. I have learned it is imperative to prepare yourself by drawing away into solitude to spend quality time with the Lord. The more I do this, the more effective I am and my life is just better ya know…

Well I was scouting an area that usually held a good deer and I only had a quick hour before daylight ended (Daylight's Burning yes sir) to check the sign in these woods. So instead of boots I put on tennis shoes so I could cover a lot of ground quickly. I walked close to 3 miles and came across little deer sign but I found a bonanza of "fat pine", kindling, fire starter, etc… for all you city folks. I thank the Lord for growing up in the woods and a farm cause so many times these lessons of living close to the earth saved me and my family lots of sickness and heart aches in Sri Lanka and India.

So I knew some folks that needed some "fat pine" for their fireplaces @ home and resolved to tote out some to sow a seed of blessing into their lives. Most folks now do not know where to get this "fat pine" or just too busy (lol) to go get em some. I slung a huge chunk on my back and began the mile hike back to the 4X4. No problem I am big guy but with gun, backpack, warm clothes, etc… after about half way my arms started to burn. I heard whisper to me quit, give in throw it down, it's not worth it… they don't care if you bring it or not… but something inside of me I have learned as the spirit of the Lord would not allow me to quit. Oh yea I was hurting, sweating and laboring by the time I made it back and the last 100 yards was sheer determination. But alas I prevailed and threw it in the back of the old truck victorious conqueror of the "fat pine" challenge.

As I sat in the truck shaking my head and kind of laughing, the Lord spoke to my heart about being a gatherer! He confirmed my life's work to gather in the harvest and bless others with the joy of a warm fire (nothing like the love of God!).

2 comments:

trudy bezet said...

Luke, I also used to gather "Fat Lighter" (as we call it), for my dad as a kid. Oh, and chop firewood too! Guess you would never figure I could do stuff like that! LOL!

Trudy Bezet

Unknown said...

Thank you for this. The Lord knows me so well, that he even drops me a Blog Post from the USA once in a while ;0)... Just got so tired of waiting, I wanted to throw in the towel and just go back to my life and not bother with the whole Aussie thing. The thing that spoke to me most was your last 100 yards... that were the most difficult. You have encouraged me to hang in there. Victory is in sight. HUGS