Sunday, June 03, 2007


















Snap Beans and Cornbread...


The back door eased open as daddy and mama came in from their ride to Louisiana in his new pickup truck. Daddy had called earlier in the day and I told him I was cooking fresh snap beans... did not take long for him to organize mama for a ride to my house for supper. It sure was good to see my parents still healthy (with normal aches and pains for their age) and happy. Daddy called and tipped me off that they were coming so I slapped a big pan of cornbread (yes I used Jiffy) into the oven in anticipation of them coming for supper. I smiled as I saw them go back for 2nds for the Mississippi staple... fresh snap beans and cornbread. Cornbread to us pure blood red necks is like ice cream so you make extra for a late night snack with some sweet milk but I do know some who like the ole butter milk... yuk! I had my son Luke go out and pick another small bucket of snap beans for them to take home to Mississippi.


I was suffering from severe jet lag but their presence seemed to wash all the symptoms away letting me know everything is going to be alright. Grey heads and smiles let me know that we can weather the storms of life by allowing the Lord to lead us through... daddy and mama as with all parents has had their share of battles but I have seen the Lord sustain them through it all. I smiled as the Lord kept speaking to me as they sat and worked on the sweetness of those snap beans... It was worth the effort to plow, plant and harvest to watch my family enjoy.


My parents are getting older and crave my time and I long to spend more time with them now. Funny how things come full circle. You can not wait to leave them seem to never get the time to get back. I was so happy they came for supper and for the Lord providing from the seed we planted 6 weeks ago. You never can tell what kind of blessing your seed will bring you when you plant it... don't hesitate get the seed into the ground and allow God to bless you and your family.

No comments: