Monday, August 13, 2007





Instruments Only...

We were in a small twin engine turbo prop plane heading to an island off the coast of Panama called Kuna Yala. I got to sit in the first seat behind the cockpit and was in awe of the procedures of flying an airplane. All the air miles I have logged over the past few years had never had me this close to the actual hands on activities of flying an aircraft and I tell you it was something to experience. The take off was so cool as the engines roared on takeoff and we soared over the mountain starring at us. Up, up and away… no it was not Santa and the reindeer but our mission's team onboard heading to minister the gospel. We settled in after a few turbulent bumps at around 24,000 feet to cruise toward our landing strip. The plane moved across the nation from the Pacific side toward the Caribbean Sea. I looked ahead and saw the clouds of the rainy season of tropical Panama and realized we would soon be flying over the clouds. Then it dawned on me we would have to go down through the clouds to land! Our decent was rapid and soon was totally immersed in the thick white clouds. I got to look through the cockpit at what a pilot would see and it was totally white… zero visibility meaning we were flying on instruments only. The Lord started to speak to me about trusting him when we could not see and how to trust our instruments of Faith. During these times of clouds we can trust God's Word to be true and faithful to us to keep us on course.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an expierence! Makes me wanna learn how to fly- for real and spiritually, when I just can't see through the clouds.