Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I saw this on the web and thought you may like to read this thought provoking paradigm…


The study on my heart at the moment is the mystery of what happens when we arise and go! I know now that there is something to that concept, something that has taken me years to discover. Looking at my life, I see that I have roosted on both extremes of the spectrum between abandoned risk and fear-induced paralysis. Lately, I have constructed a memory collage of unrelated events in which I now see a common thread: something needed to be done; I arose and went. And in the going, I ran right into my miracle.

The footprints of those who understood go are all over the Bible. Their stories seem to have common elements: a difficult situation, the character's own inability to meet the problem, the character's resolve to rise up and do something, God's miraculous intervention.

One of my favorites of these characters is Jonathan, King Saul's son. I Samuel 14 Chronicles Jonathan's exploits when the Philistines were encamped around Israel, whose king, a fearful man, himself, failed to inspire courage in those around him. Instead of supporting their king, the warriors of Israel were scattered and trembling. It looked bad for the good guys. In spite of his circumstances, however, Jonathan had an idea. He said to his armor bearer, "Let us go…."

"It may be that the Lord will work for us," he continued. Jonathan did not know that God would give him the victory until he stepped out and took the risk. God had not told him to do it. Jonathan just knew God's ways. He wasn't being doubtful or arrogant or presumptuous. It mattered to him that something needed to be done, and the faith rose up in his heart to do it.

His declaration of faith expressed his understanding of God: "Come, let us go over to the garrison of these uncircumcised; it may be the Lord will work for us. For nothing restrains the Lord to save by many or by few" (I Sam. 14:6). Maybe the words he uttered show the progression of his decision, "Let's go. Maybe God is in it. Hey, He is God; He can do it! Whether we have the whole army or just ourselves, we need Him to win, anyway."

His faithful armor bearer responded, "Do all that is in your heart. Go then; here I am with you, according to your heart" (I Sam. 14:7 NKJV). I'm impressed that Jonathan said the word "go," not God. This type of go that I am exploring seems to be initiated by us, yet, God-inspired, always produces miraculous results.

No comments: