Monday, July 14, 2008

#17 Am I proud?

Ouch! God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble… one litmus test of humility in your life is quickly revealed when you are corrected or challenged about your actions or words (The Lord's chastisement). Submission to authority is paramount as a believer I have experienced as these authorities over my life "watch out for my soul" and keep me accountable for my actions. Not in a controlling way but in love which covers a multitude of sins (James 5:20). I am thankful for a great pastor and friends that have and are being used over the years to keep me humble and love me enough to check the motives of my heart. You see pride is an issue of the heart. This is the very thing that got the devil kicked out of heaven… Pride will destroy your life left unchecked.

Over time I have noticed that if we over react to situations we disagree with it shows the signs of pride and resistance or even to the point of rebellion. This is a great opportunity to take the low road of humility and wait on the Lord. Oh this has proven me benefits and I have learned is so pleasing to the Lord. He took the low road for us! He humbled himself and became obedient even to the death of the cross to put into action the ultimate act of humility. He choose to become the sacrifice… he chose to taste this ultimate humility and shame for you and I. Thank you Lord Jesus!

James 4:6-7

But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Lord I ask you to remove the pride from my life and to renew my heart with your love.

No comments: