Wednesday, July 16, 2008

#18 Do I thank God I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisee who despised the publican?

My great friend and missions mentor Jack Harris and I were walking on a dirty street in North India. This street in particular I remember had hundreds of dung fires lit preparing the evening meal. Jack and I were enjoying the sights, sounds and smells of India when he asked me this question… "Why was God so good to you that you were born in America?" As I have thought about this question Jack asked me so many times again my memory raced back to that moment when I read and pondered today's question. One of the educations I received from international living and travel was to how Americans/Christians were perceived and or rather how Americans/Christians represented our country. My family and I were determined to do our best with our family creed… You represent the Lord, your country, family and church. Sandy and I felt the importance of training our kids to be a witness in word and deed. We realize too that only Jesus can give us the power to be this kind of witness (Acts1:8). Our main objective was and is to present ourselves as Christ followers and not religious zealots from a heart of love and not finger pointing do this or that attitude. Then we got to see that when living this witness before people that had zero Bible background we may be the only Bible people ever read…

Well of course there are many answers to Jack's question but I know Americans which includes me as to the attitude of "better than others" at times. The Bible makes it clear that there is no respect of persons and we should not think more highly than ourselves. We should not justify decisions and actions to fit the moment. This is why Jesus raised the standard from the letter of the law to a relationship out of love.

May the Lord give us grace to be a witness for Christ out of a heart of love… and not Pharisee type religion.

No comments: